Associate Scientist - Mondelez Canada Inc.
You know the brands, now how about representing them? You love business, how about making it happen?
So, who are we?
Mondelez Canada Inc. is a snacks leader in Canada, manufacturing and marketing some of the country's best-loved brands. The company comprises the global snacking and food brands of the former Kraft Foods Inc. following the spin-off of its North American grocery operations in October 2012. Mondelez Canada is the Canadian business operation of Mondelez International, Inc., a world leader in chocolate, biscuits, gum, candy, coffee and powdered beverages. We're a team of 100,000 people strong globally, with the entrepreneurial spirit of a small company and the unrivaled power of a global giant. And, our goal, is to create delicious moments of joy for all each and every day.
The Canadian organization, Mondelez Canada Inc., is looking for business professionals who love the challenge of further developing the brand presence in the market place, who love interacting with others and thrive on helping customers see the opportunities to drive their own sales and profitability. We're looking for those who are curious and will seek out opportunities and look at the business differently; who are brave and comfortable taking some risk and trying something new.
Associate Scientist / Process Developer - the role:
The Associate Scientist product/process development chocolate is a technical role within the NA confectionery R&D group. The main responsibilities of the role are to bring technical expertise and know-how to the development of chocolate products for US and Canada. This includes leading new product development and margin development projects and support to the Gladstone (Toronto, Canada) plant. The Associate Scientist needs to provide their R&D leadership from concept through bench top, pilot plant and production startup. Execute projects on existing formulations and products; use designed experiments to solve problems and improve manufacturability of current products.
The Associate Scientist will work with plant engineering, marketing, supply chain and external manufacturers to develop products or processes and bring them to commercialization.
The Associate Scientist will,
- Develop new products from the concept phase including the sourcing of ingredients, the development of formulations, making lab scale prototypes, determining shelf life, and running plant trials.
- Scale up and commercialize new product development initiatives needed to drive growth, productivity and quality for the NA region through partnership with process, engineering and packaging development.
- Initiate, design and interpret research on assigned projects. Correlate and interpret results and reach logical conclusions through the use of ingenuity and creative ideas.
- Apply knowledge of food science principles and ingredient functionality to develop and improve chocolate formulations
- Communicate effectively with cross functional partners across the supply chain (production, engineering, business development, procurement) and confections business teams (marketing, finance, consumer science)
- Partner with Chocolate Centre of Excellence to implement best practices
Success in this role will require strong technical skills (process and product) and knowledge, strong influencing skills, and understanding confectionery manufacturing and product portfolio.
The position reports to the Associate Director RDQ
Key stakeholders include:
- Director NA Confections ISC
- Section Manager NA Confections Packaging
- Sensory & Consumer science group
- NA Confections BD Leads and PCMs
- Chocolate Mfg Plant Mgrs and Plant BDs
- Regional and Global Procurement Managers
- Global Chocolate R&D Leads for Ingredients and Process Technology
- 4 year Bachelor Degree
- Experience working with proven track record of successful product launches and product & process development technology in the Food Industry.
- Strong Process, Food Science and Food Chemistry knowledge within the manufacturing industry, Chocolate experience preferred
- Technically expertise with ability to challenge current processes and approaches to build idea funnels
- Planning and Prioritization
- Influencing skills through implementing project at commercial level
- Communication skills
- Drive for results