Unix Administrator - Internship
Are you a student of the world?
Are you ready to build your career, not just your résumé?
Do you think the world can work smarter?
IBM is looking for people to work alongside the best and brightest minds in the world to build a smarter planet.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
This Student Position resides in Toronto and is a 16 months work term commencing May 2015
Main Responsibilities for Unix Administrator include:
- Maintain/support a large pool of Unix-based servers for commercial customers
- Administration of Unix-based servers including Linux, AIX, VMWare and Solaris operating system.
- UNIX-based server installing, hardening, monitoring and performance tuning
- Planning and managing OS patching for production system.
- Develop and maintain scripted and automated tools for the management of the environment.
- Document and maintain automated procedures and technical documentation for system implementation, auditing, and software distribution.
- There will be some week night and weekend work
- Additional duties as required
Desired Qualifications required:
- Proven knowledge of Unix OS Architecture, Management and Troubleshooting
- Relevant Degree/diploma in computer science or related discipline
- Exhibited skills in UNIX Shell or Perl scripting and logic
- Exhibited knowledge of Network support and maintenance
- Demonstrated competence in problem resolution and an understanding of customer impact and business needs
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects within area of technical responsibilities and to multitask several mission0020critical tasks/projects with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills for effective communication with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels
- Demonstrated a positive, can-do attitude and customer focused approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy and sincerity
- Coop or internship program enrollment an asset
What IBM Offers You:
1. Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
2. Work is challenging and rewarding
3. Access to obtain IBM Product Certification during work term
4. A casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
5. Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
Students must apply to www.ibm.com/start in addition to their university job board (if applicable) in order to be considered for the position. It is highly recommended to include your transcript (official or unofficial) to complement your application.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.