Health Care Worker (Relief Part Time)
Employees in this position attend to the personal (physical, psychosocial) needs of the residents, specifically bathing and activities of daily living, under the direction of the Staff Nurse.
- Grade 10 minimum, plus graduation from a Long-Term Care Aide program or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current knowledge in the field of geriatric mental health care.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with public, specifically physicians, staff, residents and family.
- Ability to work effectively within a variety of professional and non-professional work groups.
- Ability to work with challenging behaviors.
- Ability to create positive therapeutic relationships.
- Physically and emotionally capable to work with residents with acute and chronic geriatric/mental health conditions.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Smithers is located in the picturesque Bulkley Valley surrounded by three mountain ranges which provide a backdrop for the town's Alpine setting. The main industries include forestry, tourism, transportation and agriculture. Smithers offers affordable housing and natural splendor that support a balanced lifestyle. Smithers offers golf courses, swimming, curling and skating rinks, fitness trails, mountain biking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, horseback riding, river rafting, snowmobiling, and waterskiing. The population of Smithers is approximately 5,414. There are three elementary schools, one secondary school and one alternate format school for grades 9 -12.