Solution Architect - Internship
Are you a student of the world?
Are you ready to build your career, not just your résumé?
Do you think the world can work smarter?
IBM is looking for people to work alongside the best and brightest minds in the world to build a smarter planet.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
This Student Position resides in Toronto and is a 12/16 month work term commencing May 21015
Main Responsibilities for Solution Architect include:
The Solution Architect position is a client facing, critical role whose primary responsibility is to design and develop technical solution to support client initiatives. He/she helps to gather client requirement, assists the client in development / completion of RFS (Request for Service) technical requirements, document the technical solution, and support the RFS proposal team in completing the RFS proposal.
- Provide client assistance in development/completion of technical requirements during RFS pre-phase
- Contact client to clarify and validate requirements and manage expectations
- Work with the solution team to develop high-level and detailed solution design to meet client's requirements
- Resolve design based issues. Identify technical and technology risks and possible risk mitigation technique
- Where necessary, review RFS with account Enterprise Architect and senior solutions architect, and validate the design before it is presented to the client
- Communicate the proposed design to the domain architects and delivery teams to solicit effort estimate
- Interlock with solution and delivery team to develop labor cost case for the solution
- Validate solutions and time estimates provided by design team members and ensure the solution is seamless end to end and meets client's requirements
- Document the solution and assist the Proposal Manager to complete the RFP response
- Provide guidance to the RFS proposal team during the RFS in-take process for new request Ensure sufficient requirements are provided by the client for the RFS.
The ideal candidate assigned to this job role should be able to provide advice in their technical or technology area of specialization, leverage IBM and industry offering, and collaborate with IBM teams and clients to generate solutions. Use a disciplined approach to guide and drive solution development, work management and deliverables. The application of leadership skills and the ability to prioritize his/her workload and be adaptable would be value asset
Desired Qualifications required:
- Technical knowledge in IT infrastructure.
- Good understanding of servers\storage\network technology
- Understanding of technology trends in cloud, analytics, mobile, social and security
- Defines solutions through the reasoned application of Information Technology (IT) , technology trends and architectural thinking
- Analytical thinker
- Effective written/oral communications
- Ability to learn and adapt
- English: Fluent
- Preferred: Working towards Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Technology/Engineering/Mathematics
- Co-op or internship program enrollment an asset
What IBM Offers You:
1. Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
2. Work is challenging and rewarding
3. Access to obtain IBM Product Certification during work term
4. A casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
5. Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.